[Cu-wireless] ISPs and Wireless Access Points

lodrina at eff.org lodrina at eff.org
Mon Jul 8 15:07:14 CDT 2002

Hello,

I'm an intern with the Electronic Frontier Foundation ( http://www.eff.org/ )
and I've been writing to various wireless networking groups in light of
NYC Time Warner's attempt to shut down wireless access points that
originate with their cable modem subscribers.

(info at     http://www.politechbot.com/p-03689.html
and
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/technology/01WIFI.html?pagewante
d=print   )

Because of these actions by Time Warner Cable in response to sharing
of their bandwidth, I was hoping to compile a list of ISPs whose service
agreements would support sharing of bandwidth via a public access
point.

If you happen to know of service providers, particularly in your local area,
who are supportive of free public access points/ allow you to do what
you wish with the bandwidth that you pay for, I'd appreciate if you could
pass on a list of ISPs, their URLs, or any comments you have from a
provider if you've previously investigated such issues.

Hopefully, once compiled, a list of these ISPs will help users to make
informed choices about who they buy internet access from and show
that there are a lot of good (and local!) providers out there.
  Thanks in advance for your input!
       ~Lodrina Cherne