[Cu-wireless] an article on an 802.11 rooftop network

stephane_alnet at ureach.com stephane_alnet at ureach.com
Thu Jul 25 07:58:59 CDT 2002

Hi,

> Forgot the important part. The URL is
> <http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/papers/grid:bac-meng.pdf>.
>
> > Uses 802.11b, OpenBSD, modified DVDS routing protocol.

I couldn't find much about DVDS in that paper. :(
So now I've to read yet another paper by Perkins. :(

> > Prism-based cards may not be affected by BSS partitioning.

I remember seeing something about bssid in the options for iwpriv on the
aironet driver tools when I tested the 4521. Would need to look into it.

Another great link by Dave. :)

The only thing that struck me (aside from the obvious fact that most
ad-hoc routing protocols are tested on simulations and thus that most of
them probably would simply suck in a real-world deployment) is the
conclusion that 802.11b is not adequate for ad-hoc (ad-hoc being defined
as "multi-hop self-configuring", so basically what we are looking at).

I may be over-simplifying, but that seems to become a recurring theme in
my recent readings. So here comes today's Stupid Question(tm): what else
is available?

S.