[Cu-wireless] interesting wireless links (mentioned on slashdot)

Chase Phillips shepard at ameth.org
Wed Jul 31 15:31:45 CDT 2002

All,

Don't know who here reads slashdot and who doesn't, but today a few links
came across that I think would be of interest to CU-Wireless members.

  o EFF's listing of ISPs who welcome "community wireless members".  Not
    very long now, but a form at the bottom suggests that more will be
    added as are discovered. (EULA *$&@!)

    <http://www.eff.org/Infra/Wireless_cellular_radio/wireless_friendly_isp_list.html>

  o Newsforge is running an article about WISPs, why they can be more
    profitable than large ISPs attempting wireless, how they get
    customers, and some estimates about what it takes to roll your own
    WISP.

    <http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/07/26/2258223.shtml>

  o A story about a community wireless project in Athens, GA.  A group
    called 'Wireless Athens Group' is a fusion of a media group at the
    University of Georgia and the local government.  They currently have a
    wireless cloud covering three downtown city blocks, and look to expand
    to eight times that soon.

    This is interesting because they got major press just be blanketing
    the downtown area and working with the local government (of course,
    I'm sure that the pull the University has didn't hurt this venture).

    <http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/07/31/coolsc.wireless.cloud/index.html>

Thought this was interesting reading, so hope someone else finds these
articles useful.

regards,
Chase Phillips
--