[Cu-wireless] visited w/ hams this afternoon

stephane_alnet at ureach.com stephane_alnet at ureach.com
Mon Jun 24 20:35:29 CDT 2002

By the way, "Part 15" is as in "47 CFR Part 15" (i.e. Code of Federal
Regulations, Title 47, "Telecommunications", Part 15, "Radio Frequency
Devices"). The index of Part 15 is here[1], while all the FCC Regulations
are here[2].

[1] http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_01/47cfr15_01.html
[2] http://www.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/cfrassemble.cgi?title=200147

Among others, Section 15.23 of Title 47[3] treats of Home-built devices.
Also, Section 15.247[4] treats of the 2.4GHz band. That's where you read
stuff like: "For frequency hopping systems in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band
employing at least 75 hopping channels, [...] and all direct sequence
systems: 1 watt."

[3]
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=15&SECTION=23&YEAR=2001&TYPE=TEXT
[4]
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=15&SECTION=247&YEAR=2001&TYPE=TEXT

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> Are all commercial antennas FCC certified?  I bought some, but
> I don't remember seeing anything about it.  If they weren't
> certified, they probably wouldn't advertise the fact.

They are. Now, I haven't read the texts (even if I put a lot of fancy
pointers above), but as I remember my wireless marketing classes, the
thing is that (as a vendor) you cannot certify the antenna itself; you
certify the antenna bundled with a card (doesn't mean you have to sell
them together, just that the thing that is certified is the bundle, not
the antenna itself).

S.