[Cu-wireless] cu-wireless

Jeffrey Holewinski jeffh at aceinternetsolutions.com
Fri Mar 15 21:42:31 CST 2002

All-

     I have run across your site while doing my nightly research on wireless
networks.  To give you a little background, my name is Jeff Holewinski and I
co-own a wireless broadband provider company in Chicago called Ace Internet
Solutions.  We are a telecommunications company providing many services
including: LAN Integration, Phone Systems, Security Systems, Wireless
Broadband ISP, Web Development / Hosting, Custom PCs/Servers, and Remote
Data Storage Backup.  For broadcasting the wireless 802.11b, we have a
transmission tower with omni antennas and amps at 93ft above the ground.  We
find that a good range for us is about 8-10 miles radius from our tower.  We
have a point-to-point T1-C (3Mb/s) line running from our facility to the DS3
Internet backbone in Chicago to provide fast internet service.

     A little background about myself:  For a real job I work at Lucent
Technologies as Program Manager of the Optical Networking Group.  I've been
at this gig for about a year.  Before that I went to Purdue University
getting degrees in CIMT (Computer Integrated Manufacturing Technology) and
teaching some MET classes.

     I think the idea that your group has about creating a wireless zone
throughout Urbana-Champaign is very interesting.  I am interested in
learning your methodologies and network architecture ideas.  Similarly, I
would love to share some of our architecture and plans with you.  I think it
would be poosible for myself and the other owner of Ace to come down to
Urbana for one of your meetings.

     I look forward to hearing from your group.

Jeff Holewinski
Ace Internet Solutions