[Cu-wireless] need a public-relations fact sheet

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Tue Mar 19 01:29:47 CST 2002

One of Sascha's neighbors is concerned now that we've mounted an antenna
on the wall under his window. Mark and I told him that we were using just
50 milliwatts of microwave power, but that is a foolish thing to tell
someone who our equipment worries, because who knows what a milliwatt is
in relation to their daily radio exposure? What is microwave energy but
something you cook with? We need to prepare explanations for our powerful-
and exotic-looking equipment that will not bewilder or frighten nervous
neighbors. I've tried to outline here the sorts of explanations we can
either speak or hand-out in a photocopied fact sheet or both.

We need to be prepared to answer questions about the quality and quantity
of our radio emissions in a way so that people can place the risk of
exposure to our 2.4GHz radio transmissions in the spectrum of their
daily risks.

A fact sheet should contain comparisons of our power output level with
other equipment in the same band, like microwave ovens and 2.4GHz
portable phones. It may be useful to discuss the duty cycle of the
wireless adapters.

The inverse square law and the pattern of our emissions might be relevant.

Our equipment looks ominous, with its fat cables feeding a fat cylinder
suspended by a rugged mount. We need to explain for people why our
equipment is the way it is. We need to tell them the power levels
involved, emphasizing that we use no amplification.  And we need to show
them the mundane contents of our equipment.

Whenever possible, we should offer people the opportunity to disassemble
and examine our equipment for themselves.

It's really important that we're respectful of people's concerns and
questions. If we come off as defensive, argumentative, impatient, or
arrogant, we are going to have a hard time with the public.

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933