[Cu-wireless] update; thoughts on radios, experiments, parts

niteshad at whopper.de niteshad at whopper.de
Wed Mar 27 22:54:30 CST 2002

Dave,

	First of all, how much are the bulkhead connectors.  Let me know and put
me down for two.  If they're cheap, I may want to stock up on more of them,
for experimental purposes.
	Secondly, I agree that it's theoretically possible to mix two _different_
channels of data in the same co-ax cable.  However, it may ultimately be
cheaper just to run that second length of co-ax.  If we do try to mix signals,
the feed lines from both antennas should each be an integer multiple of
half-wavelength, to minimize interference between the two signals in the line.
Also, we'll need not just splitters, but multiplexers and de-multiplexers.
If we merely use splitters, we run the risk of both Lucent cards in the
router listening to only one of the antenas (unless we can lock the driver on a
certain channel, semi-permanently).  I have no real cost estimate, but my
hunch is that the MUX/DEMUXes that we need will be pricey.  If it were a
completely digital signal, which I'm not sure that it is (carrier wave), we
might be able to build our own, but the tolerances that we'd have to hold to,
given a 30 mW signal are pretty tight.
	If we want to push the envelope regarding what 802.11b is physically
capable of, we need more theoretically oriented sources than the amateur radio
publications that I currently have access to.  I'll call the UIUC EE Dept.
tomorrow to see if there are any allies to be found there.

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net