[Cu-wireless] GPS?

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Thu Mar 28 21:40:37 CST 2002

I have a Garmin GPS receiver that I will lend, with manual, to any
regular meeting attendee. I prefer to make a personal transaction than
to put it into "circulation."

I have an adapter that will connect the receiver to a PC through a
9-pin serial port. The receiver speaks to computers in "Garmin" and in
an industry-standard language (NEMA?).

My receiver does not use DGPS or WAAS, so I think it is only accurate
to 15 meters.

Dave

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 07:37:44PM -0600, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> Does anyone in the wireless group have a GPS unit they'd want to lend
> to our collectivized project tools? It seems like such a thing would
> be useful for antenna aiming calculations, for field testing of
> antennas (go out in a field, take a bunch of measurements from a bunch
> of different points and be able to plot them on a graph based on
> location).
>
> Once we get antennas permanently mounted it would be nice to map out
> field strength contours so we know where we'll have channel conflicts
> and such.
>
> It'd be nice to connect a GPS to netstumbler and get a good wardrive
> map of our target areas.
>
> --
> Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/
> IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta!
>  Social Justice, Community, Nonviolence, Decentralization, Feminism,
>  Sustainability, Responsibility, Diversity, Democracy, Ecology

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933