[Cu-wireless] GPS?

Stephane Alnet stephane_alnet at ureach.com
Thu Mar 28 22:23:03 CST 2002

Hi,

[Dave]
> I have an adapter that will connect the receiver to a PC through a
> 9-pin serial port. The receiver speaks to computers in "Garmin" and in
> an industry-standard language (NEMA?).

NMEA. Named after the National Marine Electronics Association's NMEA-0183
standard.
[http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt]

The "Garmin" protocol is a "de facto" standard, but a lot of free & non-free software
interface it nicely.
[http://www.garmin.com/support/commProtocol.html]

BTW, their latest OEM sensors like the GPS 16
[http://www.garmin.com/products/gps16/index.html]
look very cool to me. Would allow for some nifty "Netstumbler in a box" designs. :)

> My receiver does not use DGPS or WAAS, so I think it is only accurate
> to 15 meters.

I think that's more like 15 ft, but that depends a lot on weather & number of satellites
over the horizon.
[http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FGCS/info/sans_SA/ , check the "Data Sets".]

[Zach]
> > It'd be nice to connect a GPS to netstumbler and get a good wardrive
> > map of our target areas.

Well, we had that (=NetStumbler+GPS) running last Sunday when we were testing
the waters (literally) under Miko's roof, so I guess the only part we're missing is the
definition of the "target areas". ;)

S.