[Cu-wireless] tapping a thread?

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Thu Mar 28 23:36:08 CST 2002

> There is a device that is used for tapping the OD of a rod.  Check with the
> machine shop at U of I.  They will most likely have one that they will let
> you use.

The need is not to thread the OD of a rod, but to tap the ID of a hole
drilled in the end of a rod so that a plate can be screwed onto the
end of the rod.

Is there any "consumer grade" device that will do this? Is there just
a special drill bit that could be used?

Does anyone here have contacts with people who would be able to give
us access to a machine shop either at UIUC or elsewhere and who would
be experienced with how to use the tools found there?