[Cu-wireless] bootable CD-ROM update

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Wed May 1 22:58:21 CDT 2002

I have NetBSD booting from a hard drive with a read-only root and /usr.

All the read-write directories (/var, /etc, /home, and /dev) are mounted
on memory filesystems, which are are restored at boot time from a tar file
on the CD-ROM. It was a pretty simple matter of tweaking boot dependencies
to get the read-write directories restored before they were needed.

I still have several things on my to-do list, including detecting and
initializing network interfaces, keeping logs under control, and tweaking
the set-up so that it boots from CD-ROM or floppy.  But it should not
be long before I have a prototype CD-ROM to share.

I want to get with Zach soon to talk about auto-configuring OSPF at boot.

This is the Web site that got me started:

    http://www.daemonnews.org/200106/bootable_CD.html

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933