[Cu-wireless] channel allocation; subnet routing; dhcp

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Thu May 2 00:34:55 CDT 2002

I studied the man pages for dhclient. I cannot find anywhere that it says
it will accept two or more leases and apply them to the same interface
as IP aliases. You can apply static aliases through the config file,
but that's not any help.

***

I can understand the desire to keep the routing tables compact, but subnet
routing seems unnatural for a wireless network. Will OSPF bog down if
we do not use subnets? Every host in a subnet needs to be individually
routed, anyway....

***

I poked around on the Internet some, trying to find information on channel
selection. I found some papers on the problem, but most of them involved
cellular phone networks. A few involved ad hoc wireless networks, but
they gave solutions implemented at the MAC level.

When I really got to thinking about the problem, though, it seems
like channel selection is a lot harder problem than we should try to
tackle with self-configuring nodes in version 1. Were we to try to
solve the problem, we will have to reconcile at least two competing
goals:

	many links: for a robust network, we want for there to
                be as many links as possible

    low-contention: for a high-speed network, we want for every station
                    to be able to "air" frames ASAP, without interference
                    from other stations

To get the most links, you want to use the fewest channels. To achieve
least contention, you want to use the most channels. But if you have a
channel per station, you have zero connectivity.

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933