[Cu-wireless] Re: Cu-wireless digest, Vol 1 #118 - 4 msgs

The Morenz Family mmorenz at ameritech.net
Thu May 2 07:53:24 CDT 2002

###REPLY INLINE####

>From: David Young <dyoung at onthejob.net>

>I can understand the desire to keep the routing tables compact, but subnet
>routing seems unnatural for a wireless network. Will OSPF bog down if
>we do not use subnets? Every host in a subnet needs to be individually
>routed, anyway....

The whole idea of subnet routing is that things in a subnet are not
individually routed.  So, if you are individually routing to the
elements of a subnet then you are not using subnet routing.  Am I
missing something?

My understanding is that a few thousand entries in the routing table
is no big deal.  Millions are a problem.  Are you talking about just
Champaign-Urbana?  If so, what is the point of subnet routing?

####(THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME CONFUSION REGARDING ROUTING; "SUBNET
ROUTING" IS A REDUNDANT TERM. ALL LAYER 3 PACKET SWITCHING IS DONE BY
NETWORK (OR "SUBNET") NUMBER. ROUTERS DO NOT, IN FACT *CAN NOT* CARE
ABOUT HOSTS...THEY ONLY ROUTE TO NETWORKS.)

ANYWAY, I'M WONDERING WHEN I WILL SEE A POSTING OF WHAT WE
DISCUSSED/THE QUESTIONS WE BROUGHT UP ON TUESDAY NIGHT. FOR EXAMPLE,
WHAT IS THE NEXT GOAL? IS IT TO CONNECT ISEN TO IMC? IS IT TO PUT UP
TWO OMNI-DIRECTIONALS SOMEWHERE?

(BTW, I WILL BE TALKING WITH THE U-U CHURCH WITHIN THE WEEK ABOUT
BEING A HOST SITE)

WE COVERED SOME GOOD GROUND TUESDAY- BUT MOST OF IT WAS THEORETICAL
AND LONG-RANGE. ON EVERY ISSUE OF IMMEDIATE IMPORTANCE, THE ANSWER
WAS "WELL, WE'LL LET THAT AFFINITY GROUP DECIDE", WHICH I FOUND ODD
SINCE THE SAME TWO PEOPLE SEEM TO BE THE DRIVING FORCE BEHIND EVERY
AFFINITY GROUP.

THE SAME FUNDAMENTAL QUESTION REMAIN UNANSWERED FOR ALL GROUPS: WHAT
IS THE NEXT STEP?

FOR EXAMPLE, IF THE ANTENNA GROUP NEEDS TO MAKE ANTENNAS- WHAT KIND?
IF THE SURVEY GROUP NEEDS TO FIND SPOTS, TO WHAT PURPOSE/TO CONNECT
WHOM? I HOPE SOME DECISIONS ARE MADE BETWEEN NOW AND TUESDAY THE
14TH, WHICH IS THE NEXT MEETING I CAN ATTEND.

TAKE CARE, ALL.

:-{)]

-MARK A. MORENZ, MS ED, CCNA+BSCN, CCAI ####