[Cu-wireless] Re: Cu-wireless digest, Vol 1 #134 - 3 msgs

The Morenz Family mmorenz at ameritech.net
Sun May 26 12:25:58 CDT 2002

Hi All:

I finally had time to read and digest the most recent digests
(including the much-anticipated goals, etc. post) and it sounds good
(as in "so far,..."). Some feedback:

To the extent that pods won't be full-mesh (at least we've never said
they had to be), you must run in PMP mode. NMBA is not really an
option. You don't want "designated router" elections to occur (which
router would be the backup D.R., for example?)

The way I see it the two big drawbacks to PMP are: that routing
overhead for such a system is usually beyond what low-end routers
(which I believe our boxes would qualify as) are geared up for
(especially if link integrity is a problem and the spf algorithm is
constantly cycling...which sounds like wireless to me).

Two, you generally need to manually configure each router in this
type of network. Despite what RFC 2328 says, inverse arp doesn't
auto-detect for OSPF. The two don't automatically work together. OSPF
only uses Hellos to detect neighbors. Therefore OSPF needs to know
how to broadcast over a non-broadcast medium. Cisco built on what the
RFC recognized and engineered this into their products (and I believe
it does have an 'inverse arp' functionality). I leave it up to others
to decide if they want to do the same.

There are other technical issues as well, of course. Duplicate LSAIDs
can be a problem if you lose your discipline and give anything but
host routes out. And, once again, if you decide to try to scale by
using virtual links, you are introducing routing loop scenarios into
what should be a loop-proof protocol.

Also, here's something I'm not clear on...can multiple
networks/subnets run over the same channel? If not, then it would
seem that a pod could not be a collection of OSPF routers running in
PMP mode advertising themselves as host routes. But my ignorance of
all things wireless is showing, so I'll stop there.

Take Care!

:-{)]