[Cu-wireless] write a server-free chat application!

niteshad at whopper.de niteshad at whopper.de
Thu Oct 24 14:27:12 CDT 2002

Dave,

This is an interesting idea, particularly for a "killer app" on the
wireless network.  However, I'm wondering how this particular application differs
significantly from the other ICQ, IM, implementations already out there.
Having used it only infrequently, I don't have a clear concept of how IM works
(i.e. does it use a central server, like Napster did?)  Then again, I
recall asking why we needed ICQ in the mid-90's when we already had email. ;)

As far as security goes, I'm in favor of using as strong an encryption
scheme as we can get, and using it as often as possible.  Fully encrypted chat
sessions would rock!  However, I don't know if the constant
encryption/decryption of multiple packets from multiple sources would be a strain on
individual host systems (as opposed to nodes, which really should only be doing the
routing, on the network.)

There are other ideas, but they are too vague and unformed at the present
time to post.

regards,

Mark

--