[Cu-wireless] wireless to-do, wireless done

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Aug 21 14:44:43 CDT 2003

There is a bug in either the DHCP client, DHCP server, or the Zebra
routing software that runs on the wireless network which I absolutely
have to fix. Somehow they interact, causing the routes to ethernet
interfaces to be deleted and never reinstated.

I will make a copy of the software that works on a different channel than
11, probably channel 8, but I have to fix the DHCP/routing bug, first.

BTW, I am not at all convinced that interference is the predominant
cause of slowness on our network, for the simple reason that the network
is slow even when there is no detectable interference.  Maybe there is
significant interference that we cannot see, because it is too garbled
to be decoded (comes from an overlapping channel, for example). Also,
it is not clear just what the nature of the interference is. Does it
activate the carrier-sense, thus inhibiting transmissions, or does it
just clobber our packets? If noise is clobbering packets, then why do
I virtually never see an elevated noise level. Is it non-802.11 noise?
A microwave oven? All I have are questions.

I've asked Paul Kennedy if he would like to study the TCP traffic on our
network to see why it goes so slow. Timeouts & retransmissions? Link-layer
sluggishness?