[Cu-wireless] wireless and the Windows registry

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Feb 14 16:42:58 CST 2003

Windows closes a TCP session after retransmitting the same segment just
five times. That is a lot faster than BSD and derivatives such as Mac
OS X will give up.

Our Green-to-Main wireless link will drop out for several seconds at
a time. In that time, sometimes Windows will send five retransmissions
and then reset the TCP connection. Sascha sees Windows disconnect a TCP
session about every five minutes for this reason.

I have found out that we can change his registry settings to help.
The first thing I have tried is to bump up his TcpMaxDataRetransmissions
setting from 5 to 20.

There are more applicable registry settings
than that. To find out more, read this URL,
<http://mail.phys-iasi.ro/Library/Computing/NT4_reg_pro/chap20.htm>,
and this one,
<https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/Documents/Wireless/RegistrySettings.txt>.

dyoung at ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain