[Cu-wireless] [cliff@steam.com: Re: [BAWUG] RE: Anyone heading to Germany next month?]

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Jan 17 15:42:49 CST 2003

Interesting thing about cellular phones, here.

Dave

----- Forwarded message from Cliff Skolnick <cliff at steam.com> -----

Subject: Re: [BAWUG] RE: Anyone heading to Germany next month?
Cc: <stec at bytelaw.com>, "'Raj Saxena'" <rajan at ipisland.com>,
        "'dano'" <dano at well.com>
To: <wireless at lists.bawug.org>
From: Cliff Skolnick <cliff at steam.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:35:53 -0800

A real problem is not with the airplane, but also with the fact that
each cell phone on a plane will hit many cell sites and make a mess.
You can experience the same thing by taking a cell phone up on one of
the ridges overlooking silicon valley.  Lots of signal, but can't make
calls until you back away a few feet from the overlook (and masking
some of the sites).  Being overhead is outside the design of the cell
system.

Back in the late 80's with an analog cell phone in a private plane just
a few thousand feet up my friend made a call.  Right after he hung up
the phone rang and it was the cell phone company.  They asked him to
not use his phone in a plane. They said something about him lighting up
their system like a christmas tree when he asked them how they knew.

Cheers,
Cliff

On Friday, Jan 17, 2003, at 12:54 US/Pacific, John M Stec wrote:

> that was my point ...
>
> bogus regulations of the FAA, supported by bogus 'science' of the
> Airline
> Industry, results in this sort of thing, that is that RFI from cell
> phones
> and/or blackberries will cause problems with flight ops. In fact all
> recent
> tests done by FAA engineers failed to turn up any evidence of RFI
> induced
> problems,
> In sum ... There is NO evidence whatsoever that cell phones interfere
> with
> Airliner operation, but the Airlines maintain they 'might', but then
> show
> the airlines how to make money from the passengers for use of wireless
> and
> whoa ... concerns of RFI evaporate.
>
> how nice.

----- End forwarded message -----