[CUWiN] Good Wireless card for nodes?

Shankar Rao srrao at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 18 19:31:08 CDT 2004

>> Hello I am interested in setting up three nodes around town. I believe
>> all of these locations are within range of other nodes.
>>
>> location #1: 311 W. High St.
>
> Is that the corner of High & McCullough?

No it's the corner of High and Birch. Very close to one of the other
nodes.

>> location #3: Broadway, between Washington and Nevada
>
> That is a stone's throw from my place.

Sweet. Looking at the coverage map, it seems like it has the potential
to bridge the two networks. Is the coverage map up to date?

>> I'm looking to buy the proper equipment for all of these places. Is
>> there a certain type of PCI wireless card I should get? I figure that
>> probably don't need an 802.11g card, but I would want one with decent
>> Unix support (since the node software uses NetBSD).
>>
>> Here are a couple candidates:
>>
>> Belkin PCI 802.11b
>> D-Link PCI 802.11b
>> Linksys PCI 802.11g
>>
>> I'm leaning toward the D-Link, because it seems to strike a good
>> balance between price and driver support.
>
> This is where things get *really* confusing.  There are several
> revisions
> of the D-Link.  See <http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=42>.
> We support revisions A and B, but they are obsolete---I don't even
> know if you can buy them (new) in the U.S.!  Revisions C and D have the
> ADMtek chip, which *is* supported.  I will add support for revision E
> if somebody will buy me one.
>
> Some (all?) of the D-Link cards require a 3.3V PCI 2.2 bus, only.
> I know from experience that many old PCs have a 5V PCI 2.0 or PCI 2.1
> bus.
>
> D-Link advertises the fact that the DWL-G520 has an Atheros chip on it.
> Our support for Atheros is stabilizing, so Atheros chips are worth a
> try.
>
> The Linksys .11g card probably contains the Broadcom chip, which is
> *not* supported.
>
> We support Version 1 and Version 2101 of the Belkin card.
>
> For this e-mail, I have used this great reference,
> <http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/
> Client_5fAdapters_5f802_5f11b>.

So it seems that I should get the Belkin card then. Alright.

Shankar

"If what they say is 'Nothing is forever', then what makes Love the
exception?" -- OutKast