[CUWiN] advice?

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Sat Aug 21 11:10:13 CDT 2004

Hi Joe,

> In a well-intentioned but probably misguided attempt to provide my own
> little group of rural neighbors with wireless access, I have hit a snag. I
> would like to tie my business to my home, and then provide wireless from
> my home to my neighbors.
>
> Since I don't think I have a reasonable LOS between my business and my
> house, I thought I might roll my own SDSL between the two by renting some
> copper from the phone company. However, I have not had any success with
> the telephone company (Verizon). "dry copper" is not available or is
> outlandishly expensive, depending on who you talk to. Many years ago, this
> was a simple and inexpensive proposition. So, my questions are this: Can
> anyone with some experience give me any good info on how to rent such a
> connection from the phone company at a reasonable cost, or alternatively,
> have a better idea?

We've tried over several years to get "dry pairs" up and running and have
faced an impenetrable thicket of confusion, misinformation, and downright
unhelpfulness from the phone companies.  The prices we've been quote were
extremely high, and then we were basically told that they couldn't
guarantee that the pair would allow data communications.

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & Pres.  *  Project Coordinator  *  Project Manager