[Cu-wireless] Re: CU-Wireless Digest, Vol 1, Issue 395

Nitin H. Vaidya nhv at crhc.uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 22 14:33:39 CST 2004

.  >>HSLS was tested at UIUC!  we might be able to get input re: some of the
.  >>work done on this.

I should correct this ... HSLS wasn't tested at UIUC, but UIUC was part
of the UDAAN project, and worked on pieces of that project (particularly,
MAC protocol) in collaboration with BBN.

- nitin

.  >>
.  >>we're very interested in lowering the cost of nodes by utilizing cheap
.  >>access points -- porting NetBSD to these access points.  voice over IP
.  >>(VoIP) is also of interest to the group; etc.  dave sent an e-mail to the
.  >>CWN list with a bunch of ideas.
.  >>
.  >>Stephane has enormous experience with VoIP and will head a working group.
.  >>
.  >>perhaps working with hardware companies -- e.g., Motorola might be willing
.  >>to help fund the project to develop a public good through the software.
.  >>
.  >>working with ISPs -- we're hoping Sol Tec will get back with us, we're
.  >>also interested in working with Speakeasy and other (W)ISPs who are
.  >>interested in supporting bandwidth sharing.  it would be great to have a
.  >>provider working with us (we could do BGP peering).
.  >>
.  >>chase p. -- programming & low-level protocols, device drivers, debugging
.  >>-- would buy a second system for the project.
.  >>
.  >>mike b. -- working in East St. Louis, there's no wired infrastructure;
.  >>likes the organic growth that CWN makes possible.  interested in
.  >>collaboration between prairienet and CWN.
.  >>
.  >>christian -- less programming & more higher level stuff.  "where the need
.  >>is greatest" -- perhaps VoIP.
.  >>
.  >>bryan c. -- actively programming on the project; lower-level programming.
.  >>
.  >>michael m. -- learning more about programming, networks; has done mac and
.  >>windows technical support; designing user interface (woo-hoo!); user
.  >>documentation -- volunteers to help write it!!!  beta testing.
.  >>
.  >>nitin -- is in the CSL and Electrical Engineering department; thinks we
.  >>could deploy within CSL; and could pay for 8-10 nodes; would love to have
.  >>students working with the project (e.g., masters students working on ETX
.  >>improvements).  also influencing development of other developers' work --
.  >>opening lines of communications.
.  >>
.  >>rivka -- works with prof. christian sandvig; is curious about the project.
.  >>
.  >>dave -- developer on the project; is interested in everything.  focused on
.  >>routing & path metric.  and then name service.  interested in "squeezing"
.  >>NetBSD into smaller storage space.  likes to write device drivers.  is
.  >>willing to give a talk on drivers & NetBSD 802.11 layer.
.  >>
.  >>pat -- interested in lower levels & hardware; debugs device drivers.  good
.  >>working with users -- knows some of the motorola folks.  interested in
.  >>working with students.
.  >>
.  >>stephane -- VoIP; is leaving for Africa in June.  might be a good
.  >>on-the-ground contact for the CWN.
.  >>
.  >>ralph -- looking for ways to get students involved.
.  >>
.  >>ben -- community involvement; perhaps grant writing; talking with service
.  >>providers, community groups, businesses, etc.; helping with user
.  >>interface and mesh diagnostic work.
.  >>
.  >>brian f. -- knowledgable guinnea pig; works in unix, windows.  good
.  >>trouble-shooter.  works with ralph's group.
.  >>
.  >>Possible Working Groups:
.  >>1. Users
.  >>2. VoIP
.  >>3. Programmers
.  >>
.  >>Ralph thinks there may be certain programming areas where students could
.  >>be useful (e.g., community e-mail and webserver; route visualization).
.  >>
.  >>Decided that we would meet regularly to coordinate on the 3rd Saturday of
.  >>each month at Noon at the CWN offices (115 West Main Street in Urbana).
.  >>The next meeting will be March 20, 2004.
.  >>
.  >>We then broke up the meeting for individuals to meet & talk about creating
.  >>working groups.
.  >>
.  >>Pictures from meeting are available at:
.  >>http://shimaore.dyndns.org/CUWireless/20040221_2dmeeting
.  >>
.  >>I also photoshopped the News Gazette article (thanks to Bryan for doing
.  >>the indial scanning).  The front-page scan and full article are available
.  >>at:
.  >>
.  >>http://www.saschameinrath.com/press/
.  >>