[Cu-wireless] new locales for CWNs:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Feb 25 20:52:11 CST 2004

hey todd & brenda,

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Todd Boyle wrote:

> Sascha, I was excited to see your project [below].
> Champagne/urbana has been generating ideas and
> documents for years, and a functioning network if I recall?

yeah, we've generated a few documents and numerous resources are archived
on our e-mail list.  we currently have two fully functioning networks in
town and have delivered our software to other projects who are interested
in building their own CWNs.

> Can you help me kick-start a CWN here in our suburb?

sure thing.

> I have been lacking the necessary piece of hardware,
> to enable more than one hop.   we have been stuck at
> this point for about 3 years now.   The Seattle Wireless
> geeks can apparently get a node up and running, but
> that's not possible for non-engineers.

our software will do this all automatically.  we're working to get a new
stable build online.  hopefully within the next week we'll have it
available for download.  our software comes in two varieties -- compact
flash or cd-rom.  if you go with the cd-rom, all you need to do is have
your computer boot from the cd -- the software configures everything else.

> Bottom line here in the suburbs: the box needs to
> maintain its mesh network routes at least for 2 or 3 hops,
> and it has to do it 24x7 at least as reliable as we now
> experience with our APs and cable/dsl gateway routers...

yeah, our software already does this -- it just won't scale well beyond a
few dozen nodes (which is one of the problems we're going to solve over
the next year).

> When that happens then people will be able to share
> resources around the community, and somepeople
> will supply internet connectivity.  here is some stuff I
> have written.

thanks for these links.  i'll share them with the rest of the developers.
if you're not already, you might want to get on the CWN e-mail list -- you
can sign up here:

> Community networks
>    <http://ledgerism.net/requirementsCWNs.htm>CWN requirements
>    <http://ledgerism.net/BackFenceLAN.htm>Back Fence LANs
>    <http://ledgerism.net/GestureDxNode.htm>Gesture DxNode.htm
>    <http://ledgerism.net/BxNodeOffer.htm>Bx Node Offer
>    <http://ledgerism.net/devices.htm>Devices and reputation
>    <http://ledgerism.net/CarrierWrittenSpecs.htm>Carrier-Written specs
>    <http://ledgerism.net/vanlords.htm>Reputation=civil disobed
>    <http://ledgerism.net/kirkwireless.htm>Kirkland Wireless
>    <http://ledgerism.net/whyP2Pwireless.htm>P2P
> <http://ledgerism.net/whyP2Pwireless.htm>Revolution
>

> Can u help us?

it would be great to have you working on implementing a wireless system
using our software -- it'll help us create better user documentations,
anticipate problem areas, etc.  i think we can definitely help you all
out.

let me know if you have any questions,

--sascha