[Cu-wireless] request for interview; introduction

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Feb 25 20:58:15 CST 2004

hi matt,

if you're free tomorrow, let me know. i'll be available at my office
number (217)333-7424 from 1-2pm and 3-5pm tomorrow (thursday) afternoon,
or i can give you a call when i get out of meetings if that's easier for
you.

let me know,

--sascha

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Matt Barranca wrote:

> Hello,
> Please allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Matt Barranca and I'm a researcher with the New America Foundation's spectrum policy program (www.spectrumpolicy.org). We produce public policy research and writing on public airwave regulation and allocation. One of our interests is the role of unlicensed spectrum as a means to providing broadband Internet access to underserved communities.  We've published a number of papers which might be of interest to you (links below) and I'd like to set up a time to discuss your activities.
>
> We're in the process of writing a paper (a collaboration with MIT Economists William Lehr and Sharon Eisner Gillet) on the economics of unlicensed spectrum as a last mile solution.  Your community mesh network might make an interesting case study for that paper, as we are profiling recent success stories and novel deployments.  We are also hosting a one-day conference in Washington DC on April 16, 2004, and depending on how far along your project is, there may be a speaking spot available, should you like to provide a "show-and-tell" presentation to our congressional, FCC, and telecom policy audience.  I'd love to set up a time to speak with Sascha Meinrath, should he be available.  I'll be in the office for the rest of the afternoon, as well as all next week, should there be a convenient time for me to call.  BTW -- the Spectrum Policy Program receives partial funding for our activities from the Open Society Institute.
>
> Some articles of interest:
>
> "Radio Revolution: The Coming Age of Unlicensed Wireless," By Kevin Werbach, New America Foundation
> December 15, 2003 (http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&pubID=1427)
>
> "Spectrum Reform an Urgent U.S. Priority," By Michael Calabrese, Vice President
> The Hill , February 4, 2004 (http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&pubID=1473)
>
> "A Private Windfall for Public Property," By Michael Calabrese Vice President, New America Foundation and Norman Ornstein Resident Scholar, American Enterprise Institute, The Washington Post, August 12, 2003 (http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&pubID=1322)
>
> "Breaking the Chains: Unlicensed Spectrum as a Last-Mile Broadband Solution," By James H. Johnston and J.H. Snider, New America Foundation
> June 1, 2003 (http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&pubID=1250)
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> Matt Barranca
> Program Associate
> New America Foundation
> 1630 Connecticut Avenue, NW
> Washington, DC 20009
> (202) 986-2700 ext 315
> (202) 986-3696 - fax
> barranca at newamerica.net
>
> "Radio Revolution: The Coming Age of Unlicensed Wireless," by Kevin Werbach, is now available at http://www.spectrumpolicy.org

Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & President      *      Project Manager
Acorn Active Media Foundation   ***     Eggplant Active Media
www.acornactivemedia.com         *      www.eggplantmedia.com