[Cu-wireless] Need information for ESRI application

Stephane Alnet stephane at nospam.shimaore.net
Fri Mar 5 11:47:21 CST 2004

Wendy,

Before you start spending money on anything..

- I did some mapping of CU's 802.11b spectrum a couple years ago. I
wrote the software to take the GPS and wireless data, map them onto the
freely-available USGS orthophotos, and publish them on a website in a
week-end. Shouldn't take much longer to do something similar to simply
plot CUW locations...

- At the meeting a couple weeks ago I talked with a Masters student at
the University who was interested by the mapping project I mentioned
above. So it sounds like other people, local to CU, are interested in
this topic. Before we send out whoever to some expensive training,
could we check we don't have people who already have that knowledge
locally? (My guess is that we do.)

If mapping sounds like a valuable undertaking, then maybe we simply
should have a working group on this. But I'm against spending money on
books which probably are already at the library at the University, and
on training for knowledge that's available in the community (and
available as hands-on experience rather than simply courses).

Just my opinion, YMMV.
S.