[Cu-wireless] NSF NeTS Program Solicitation

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Mar 6 23:18:02 CST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:48:38PM -0600, Wendy Edwards wrote:
> Here's a potential NSF grant (different from the community partnership)
>
> http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2004/nsf04540/nsf04540.htm
>
> The proposals are due at 5 PM April 14, 2004.

The RFP says,

    "This program solicitation seeks innovative, forward-looking research
    projects in networking research broadly defined and in the following
    two focus areas:

     * Programmable Wireless Networks: Exploit the capabilities of
       programmable radios to make more effective use of the frequency
       spectrum and to improve wireless network connectivity.

     * Networking of Sensor Systems: Create architectures, tools,
       algorithms, and systems that will make it easy to assemble and
       configure a network of sensor systems."

I think that the former topic is relevant to CWNs, since we have an
interest in using the spectrum more effectively. We could respond to
that topic with a researcher at the University.  Broadly interpreted,
the "programmable wireless networks" topic includes adaptive antenna
arrays, and I know that Prof. Nitin Vaidya is working on that. I think
NSF means by "programmable radios" what I mean by "software-defined
radios"; I know that there is a research group at NCSA that is working
on software-defined radio.

I cannot make an easy connection between wireless sensor networks and
our project.