[Cu-wireless] HSLS?

Joe Pickert joe at castanet.com
Tue Mar 9 09:31:11 CST 2004

Hi Dave,

I certainly think HSLS will need some adaptive tuning. In the long term,
if the local cloud includes enough resources (whatever "local" happens to
mean), perhaps gateway selection becomes a non-issue or easy to fix. In
the short term, however, I am thinking about making the network usable
enough that participants don't throw up their hands in frustration. I may
be wrong, but initially this means virtually 100% internet-centric usage.

Toward this end, I think it should be as simple as possible for people or
businesses to "donate" usage of their hardwired bandwidth when they don't
need it, and take it back when they do. So, if a gateway can advertise
itself and its excess capacity "schedule" (e.g., you can use 0% of my T1
line from 8am-5pm, 40% from 5pm-10pm, etc.), then I think getting gateways
on board becomes a lot easier. Of course, they must also be able to change
the advertised shedule with little or no notice.

In this scenario, I don't think most current heuristics (that I know of
anyway) will work very well because they assume relatively static
gateways and centralized authority(s). The selection mechanism needs to be
decentralized and dynamic. I am sure this issue must be addressed in the
literature somewhere. Anyone have any pointers?

Joe