[Cu-wireless] Champaign-Urbana Information Security: meeting 6:30 TONIGHT

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Mar 11 14:38:02 CST 2004

The new Information Security group might be interesting to some of
the locals on the list. I won't forward future notices unless they're
wireless-related. If you write Sean Williams, I'm sure he will be happy
to put you on his list.

Dave

----- Forwarded message from Sean Williams <seanw at champaigncountyedc.org> -----

Subject: Tonight's CU InfoSec Program
From: "Sean Williams" <seanw at champaigncountyedc.org>

Thursday, March 11 Thursday, March 11

6:30 pm

Champaign County Economic Development Corporation

1817 S. Neil St., Ste. 201

Champaign, IL

CU InfoSec (Champaign-Urbana Information Security) is forming
as a specific group of professionals interested in IT security
issues. Information security plays an increasingly critical role in the
local, state, national, and world economy. The goal is to position CU
InfoSec to be a forum for building informal relationships and sharing
practical information about IT security.

The main speaker will be Roy Campbell, professor of computer science
at the University of Illinois.  Among his many activities related to
IT security, Dr. Campbell is director of CARIS (www.caris.uiuc.edu
<http://www.caris.uiuc.edu/> ) and is developing graduate courses in IT
security, along with Ken Rowe who spoke at last month's meeting.  Dr.
Campbell will speak for about 20 minutes on coordination and cooperation
between the University and local business community on information
security.  Questions, answers, and discussion will follow.

Also, Mike Jahn will overview the use of the Yahoo group site and mail
list for this group, and we will have a short business meeting to begin
setting up a steering committee for the group.  Roland Garton will
announce the speakers for the April and May meetings.

Sandwich-type food and drinks provided.

Sean D. Williams

High-Tech Director

Champaign County Economic Development Corporation

1817 South Neil Street, Suite 201

Champaign, Illinois  61820

Ph.  217.359.6261

Fx.  217.359.1809