[Cu-wireless] Information System

Bryan Cribbs bdcribbs at ojctech.com
Tue Mar 16 12:31:06 CST 2004

Some additional comments on what Wendy and I discussed:

* Wendy Edwards <wedwards at uiuc.edu> :
> Essentially, we'd propose a server that aggregated information.
> At this point, a single server would probably be adequate for
> our community, but it would be possible to have more than one.

The idea of having a centralized server to log the data is
actually optional (as I was conceiving the system, more below).

> Nodes would periodically send information about traffic and
> connectivity upstream to the aggregate server, which could then
> be queried by clients.

I think that the wireless stations will not actively send out
this data, rather they will run a lightweight daemon that would
provide data only on request.  It will be up to the visualization
agent to request the data.

An end user could then run the visualization agent on their own
computer, requesting data only from their local router, which
allow them to visualize the network from a 'local perspective'.

The aggregation server described above would be an optional third
component.