[Cu-wireless] Information System

Stephane Alnet stephane at nospam.shimaore.net
Tue Mar 16 16:13:14 CST 2004

>> If you go through the archives of the list you'll see that last fall
>> we
>> discussed a way to forward logs back to a central server using SMTP.
>> That could be used to provide historical network adjacency information
>> (how many times did a link flap, etc.) without the requirement for
>> additional processes on the routers.
>
> At the risk of asking a dumb question, would that mean that the nodes
> would have to have SMTP services running?

No, an SMTP client would be sufficient. Having a queueing mechanism of
some sorts (in case the SMTP server becomes inaccessible) would be
helpful; but this doesn't have to be a full-blown MTA. (*)

> What [about] traffic data?  Do we want to know how heavy
> the load is for a node or group of nodes?  What if two nodes are
> having a
> lot of collisions?

These are all valuable information. They could be collected and sent
along with the rest of the logs & other info.

I guess somewhere the question boils down to "push" vs "pull", and I'm
advocating for "push". :)
S.

(*) As a sidenote, if we have a way to queue the messages independent
from the transport mechanism, then the transport doesn't have to be
SMTP. It could be HTTP(S) POST or anything. I guess when I first
suggested SMTP we were looking for something that could be deployed
"right now" (no additional development) and a local lightweight SMTP
MTA fit the bill.