[Cu-wireless] CUWiN Meeting Minutes: 04/20/04

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Sun Mar 21 16:06:00 CST 2004

Present: Stephane, Bryan, Christian, Wendy, Dave C., Sid, Michael B.,
Sascha, Dave Y., Nitin, Michael M.

***

Agenda:

1. Video:  watched Stephane's video of Mike's install.  It was awesome!
Stephane needs someone to be a talking head -- someone to write text & be
on the video briefly.  Sascha will work with Stephane.  Wendy will write
text.

Chrisian brought up the idea of doing a museum exibit at the university.
Stephane's video would be useful for that project.  There might have a
documentary photographer who'll work with CUWiN.

2. Updates
        a. developers

Dave's been working on kernel patches.  Software is now upgradeable "on
air" -- we don't need physical access to the roofs.  The software is now
down to 13MB (was 38MB previously).

        b. documentation & website

We've been working on documentation -- adding FAQs, getting the wiki up.
Anyone who is interested in documentation should e-mail the cu-wireless
list.

3. Grants

Programmable Wireless Network Grant:  Sascha, Dave, Mike, & Wendy will
work on this.  Anyone who's interested should meet up at 6pm on Wednesday.

4. CUWiN Expertise Mapping Project

Christian is interested in creating an asset/expertise mapping.  Idea is
to get everyone on this list to fill out a brief 10-15 minute survey about
areas of expertise.  This would produce a useful map of the CUWiN
knowledge areas.

***

Nitin mentions that the programmable wireless network grant is for fairly
specific development.  We will have to make sure that we fit the criteria
for the grant.  Perhaps building the software stack for new hardware would
work.

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2004/nsf04540/nsf04540.htm

Nitin will send slides of what NSF is looking to fund -- Joseph Evans is
the main NSF grant guy.

We did two installations in the last week.

Dave C. will develop a how-to build a node utilizing an old desktop
computer.  Christian is interested in studying how people build their own
infrastructure.  Dave and Sid are helping out with the mapping project.

--
Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & President      *      Project Manager