[Cu-wireless] Dept. of Defense Claims Wireless Could Kill Soldiers:

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 16:34:14 CST 2004

Reading between the lines...it appears that EMSM is simply a way for the
military command to control the use of wireless and other connectivity
on their own hardware in combat zones. My take is that this involves
only their own units and would not interfere with other users. It is a
form of operational security, akin to the old idea of radio silence,
that would be remotely manageable. They would also be able to
selectively enable connectivity of military computers as needed away
from combat zones, if I'm reading this right.

But I would not be surprised if they have other systems that via jamming
would deny others the use of their own 802.11b and other hardware. But
it doesn't sound to me that EMSM will do that.

Hoping we don't end up in a war zone,
Mike Lehman