[Cu-wireless] Scary VoIP Stuff

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 24 00:31:31 CST 2004

Just a FYI on this timely VoIP/CALEA info from Cryptome:
http://cryptome.org/lea-broadtap.htm
http://cryptome.org/calea-boom.htm
http://www.fiducianet.biz/13.html

Toward the bottom of the page on the second link and at the third link,
you get info on fiducianet, which seems to be a way to contract out any
  potential legal obligations under CALEA...but of course you'd feel
really dirty afterwards.

I am just a very peripheral participant in the CWN scene, but there are
a couple of approaches I'd suggest to the VoIP dilemma in the context of
developing CWNs in the current ridiculously Big Brotherish environment.

First, try to argue for an experimental exemption to this CALEA mess for
this and similar projects and only implement VoIP for overseas work
after you do development work here. But of course there are certain
agencies of government who'd want to know things you were up to in any
case, just because that would be handy for them, and they moght very
well drag their heels on such an exception. So maybe you want to work on
a very basic non-telco oriented VoIP, if that makes any sense.

Or maybe just drop VoIP if it turns out to be a real pain in the ass
because of CALEA, while noisily pointing out how it is stifling
innovation and progress. Anyway, I just wanted to pass along a couple of
brainstorms I had after the reading the linked material. I don't envy
anyone having to deal with this CALEA BS and I have no idea where you
are at on this. But I thought the info might be helpful if you haven't
already seen it.
Mike Lehman