[Cu-wireless] Interesting Read for those in the US, on WiFi and Legality

Willy Smith willy at linuxgazette.com
Fri May 7 08:09:26 CDT 2004

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/237

Last paragraphs excerpted:

The Access Point Felony
 Even putting up an unencrypted, unprotected wireless access point might
conceivably get you in trouble. Let's say that it's a nice day out, and you
want to sit in Riverside park on the Upper West Side and enjoy the day. So
you plug your Linksys 802.11(g) access point into your cable modem, and sit
outside.

 You're busted! You see, when you "broadcast" the cable connection, you are
opening it up for anyone to potentially use it. So other people can
potentially get Internet access from Comcast without paying for it. In
Maryland, for example, it is illegal to use an "unlawful telecommunication
device" which is a "device, technology, [or] product . . used to provide the
unauthorized . . . transmission of . . access to, or acquisition of a
telecommunication service provided by a telecommunication service provider."
Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Virginia and Wyoming all have laws on
the books that may do the same thing.

 These laws generally treat "sharing" of Internet connections the same way it
would treat "sharing" of Cable TV or Satellite TV services. Thus, while you
could invite your neighbors in to watch the latest episode of The Sopranos,
you probably couldn't hook a coax into apartment 3B so they could watch from
home -- at least without getting the permission of the cable TV company.

 You can see this in, for example, Verizon's personal DSL agreement, which
states that "[y]ou may not resell the DSL Service, use it for high-volume
purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute resale (commercial
or non-commercial), as determined solely by Verizon." So, if Verizon
determines that your 802.11 connection constitutes a non-commercial resale
(and is unauthorized) not only can it cut you off, but it can make you a
felon.

 All of this means that the simple act of driving around and getting WiFi
connections as needed, something we hope to be able to do (isn't that why we
bought the Centrino in the first place?), is fraught with legal risk. One way
to counter this is to establish more universal wireless access agreements
(like we did with the first cell communications) so we can pay a single fee
and move from WAP to WAP freely.

 But ultimately if we want to move to ubiquitous wireless computing, where you
can use the WiFi protocols for cheap, mobile VOIP communications, or have
near universal wireless Internet access, we are going to have to persuade the
law to get the hell out of the way.

Regards,
--
Willy Smith