[CUWiN] Question

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Fri Nov 19 10:23:37 CST 2004

Hi Adam,

> Does your network provide any form of "hot zone" or is it strictly
> hotspot? I'm working on a paper comparing community vs municipal
> wireless networks. I've looked at your map and wonder how far from each
> node someone can get wifi reception.  I do understand interference and
> LOS issues.

CUWiN is more of a hybrid between the two -- it creates clouds of
connectivity where-in hot zones can be set up.  The network architecture
has two levels -- one that communicates between nodes on the network, and
one (within each node) where end-users connect to the network.  The first
(internodal) level forms a hot zone, where-in anyone can set up a node and
thus join the network; but individual end-users would only connect through
hot-spots, LANs, etc. that are plugged into each node.

Most of the nodes on our map (the map on our site is a bit out of date)
have Wireless APs, which have a typical range from the node location.
But the nodes themselves have a much larger range (often hundreds of
meters) wherein anyone could set up a new node and a new wireless AP and
get online.

--Ssacha

--
Sascha Meinrath
President                 *   Project Coordinator   *   Policy Analyst