[CUWiN] Multiple radios?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Apr 11 01:18:04 CDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 07:22:15PM -0500, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> On Saturday 09 April 2005 15:33, David Young wrote:
> > Also, if you have a sectorized arrangement on a tall tower,
> > and a separate router is dedicated to each segment, then you only need
> > an ethernet hub/switch to tie the sectors together.
>
> If the router has two or more ethernet ports, it should be possible to just
> daisy-chain them in a ring without going through a switch. (Say, on a water
> tower)  But at least one should have 3 ports, for backhaul or if joining an
> internal LAN is desired, to maintain the ring for alternate paths.  If one
> node fails, would the ring dynamically re-route?

The routers will re-route.

> Which should assign the IPs in the ring?

I cannot think of any reason the link-local IPs cannot be auto-assigned
"in the usual way."

> And POE would be a question.

Indeed.  Maybe it is best to use a PoE switch.  Alas, Soekris boards
are not 802.3af-compliant.  Somehow I doubt the WRAP is, either.  Too bad.

> So in the case of a water tower ring, the two ethernet ports on a node would
> not be bridged?  Would the routing daemon therefore arbitrate a packet's path
> either along the ring or out the wireless?

There's more than one way to do it, but letting the routing daemon figure
it out sounds fine.