[CUWiN] FreeNet Router Project

Ian White ian.white at datamile-computers.com
Thu Jan 6 03:40:49 CST 2005

Running my own Locustworld mesh but slightly unhappy about the way the source is
controlled etc, I've been looking at the other projects around.

WRT based ones , seasoft... wifidog
PC based ones like cuwin.

Having seen the benefits of a large number of developers working and testing on
a OS project (xoops/postnuke), I wonder why the wireless mesh world is so
split.

People want

1) 11b/11g support
2) nodes capable of dynamic meshing and routing
3) User authorization (nocat in most cases), and vpn support for users
4) inter-node security/firewall (vpn or certs)
5) traffic control, dianogtics and limits

and most of the stuff is open source and just needs taping together.

The only main difference appears to be routing algorithm, and in theory thats a
pluggable module.

Thoughts ?

Ian