[CUWiN] Brownbag Presentation:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Mon Mar 7 19:23:54 CST 2005

Hi all,

I was just reminded today that I'm giving a brownbag presentation this
Wednesday on the UIUC campus.  If you're interested in hearing about
Community Wireless Networking (and CUWiN, in particular), want to learn
about what's happening here in Illinois and at the national level, or just
have questions, feel free to come (the event is open to the public).

Let me know,

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
President                 *   Project Coordinator   *   Policy Analyst

To: Patrick Vargas <pvargas at uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: brownbag

> hi S, you're scheduled to deliver a brownbag this Wednesday, 1-2:30pm,
> in 110 Speech & Hearing [901 S. Sixth Street].  If you could send me a
> title & an abstract I'll begin advertising.

"Wirelessing the Revolution: Participatory Media, Wireless Networking, and
Community Empowerment.  AKA: How you're about to get completely screwed by
the telecommunications industry and don't even know it."

Imagine a free wireless networking system that any municipality, company,
or group of neighbors could easily set up themselves.  Over the past
half-decade, the Champaign-Urbana Community Wireless Network (CUWiN) has
been developing an open source, turnkey wireless networking solution that
exceeds the functionality of many proprietary systems.  CUWiN's vision is
ubiquitous, extremely high-speed, low-cost networking for every community
and constituency. Following in the footsteps of Linux and Firefox, CUWiN
has focused on creating a low-cost, non-proprietary, user-friendly system.
CUWiN's software will share connectivity across the network, allowing
users to buy bandwidth in bulk and benefit from the cost savings.

Unfortunately, existing telecommunications incumbents are working overtime
to lock customers into expensive, pitifully inadequate service agreements
and deploying telecommunications infrastructures using yesteryear's
technology. Their business models are antiquated, but guess who has to pay
for their inefficiencies?  That's right, you do.  This presentation will
walk participants through an introduction to wireless technologies,
discuss some of the social benefits of Community Wireless Networks, and
focus on some of the more dastardly tactics being undertaken _right now_
by major telecom incumbents to screw you over (e.g., last week an
ammendment to the Illinois telecom rewrite removed the language that the
law's purpose is to "provide for fair, just and reasonable rates").