[CUWiN] Tips to contribute?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Mar 17 19:07:50 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:28:39AM -0800, Kashyap wrote:
> Hi,
> I am newcomer to this list and interested in
> contributing to this project. I have experience in the
> area of OO application development and a graduate
> degree with some mobile computing research experience.

Kashyap,

There are lots of ways to contribute.  To get started, subscribe
to the developer's mailing list, cu-wireless-dev.  Check out our
documentation in the source repository to find designs of things we
need to program, trunk/doc/local/.  There is a wishlist in there,
trunk/doc/local/beyond-scope.  For an example of something that
is under development right now, there is the ad hoc name service.
It's a big project---find use-cases and architecture notes in
trunk/doc/local/name-service-use-cases-arch.

I've mentioned a lot of systems-level stuff.  One application that we talk
about is a gateway between the network visualization and web services.
The idea in a nutshell is that every node on the network visualization
(this is a display of all the nodes on the network, super-imposed on a
map of town) is hyperlinked to a website of the node-owner's choosing.
Also, every node-owner gets to choose an icon or color to distinguish
their node.  Ideally, the website is hosted on the owner's Mac or Windows
PC, and it is easy for them to compose and publish a simple homepage with
an application we provide to them on CD-ROM.  The homepage, at its most
basic, contains the same information as a business card.  Getting a little
more sophisticated, add "favorite links".  Some of those may be other
sites on the community network, which you "drag & drop" onto the page.
This is pretty vague, I know ... I'm trying to plant the seed of an idea,
and let you run with it.

Returning to the systems-side of things, the hyperlinked network map and
web-publishing may be facilitated by content-caching and network storage.