[CUWiN] node signal strength drop

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Mar 21 11:14:49 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 06:59:49PM -0600, Bill Comisky wrote:
> We've had 2-3 of our nodes begin to suffer from reduced signal strength, a
> significant drop of 15dB or so, to where the node is essentially
> non-functional.  Preliminary investigation on one of them looks like a
> problem with the antenna; my first guess is maybe a bad solder joint that
> the the cold/heat has opened up.

We may have had the same problem with a bad joint.  The node we had at
Zach's went completely "deaf" for a while.  That is, it stopped picking
up APs in the neighborhood, let alone any CUWiN nodes.  Not a single
packet was received.  After a while, it started to "hear" again.

If the antennas are not adequately waterproofed, I wonder if they will
fill up with rainwater?  Maybe we should put drainholes in.  Just a
thought.