[CUWiN] [CUWiN Press Release] Nov. 11-13 WiFi & LPFM BarnRaising in Urbana Illinois

Dharma Dailey dharma at prometheusradio.org
Thu Oct 27 22:42:14 CDT 2005

True apololgies for cross posting
-Dharma Dailey

Come November 11-13 to the 9th WIFI // LPFM Barnraising in
Urbana-Champaign!

In days of yore, a whole community would come to the help a farm family
build a barn.  For five years now, Prometheus Radio Project has been
partnering with Low Power Stations around the country to build LPFM
stations. A Radio Barnraising does more than put a station on the air.
It brings engineering and production talent from near and far to train
volunteers at burgeoning stations.  Barnraising are times of
celebration and skill-sharing for the community media movement.  People
interested in starting stations have a point of connection.  Those with
skills get to pass on the torch.  Now, Prometheus Radio Project is
excited to be working with the Champaign-Urbana Wireless Network to
bring the barnraising model to Community Wireless Projects.  *Your
presence* can help us translate a model that has been very successful
for LPFM to Community Wireless!

  While volunteers from near and far gather together with the Urbana
Champaign Independent Media Center to build Radio Free Urbana, WRFU-LP,
others can help build on to the Champaign-Urbana Wireless network, a
pioneering leader in community broadband services.

For anyone interested in community wireless, this is an excellent
opportunity to share ideas and strategies for the future of community
wireless projects, and get hands-on experience, as we work with the
masterminds of Champaign Urbana Wireless!  You- yes YOU!- can help
assemble and install wireless nodes.  Don’t know what a wireless node
is?  Come and learn from some of the best practitioners in the country.
  Workshops throughout the weekend will hit  on spectrum reform and
legislation, a survey of community wireless projects, community media
centers and community wireless, GNU Smart Radio, and mesh networks.

  And if that’s not enough for ya, we’re also throwing up an LPFM
station with all of the good stuff that you’ll find at our “regular”
radio barnraisings.

The recommended donation for the entire weekend will be $125, or $50
for one day. Pay what you can afford. Food and simple housing
arrangements are included in the registration price. Scholarships are
available, and no one will be turned away for lack of funds. We need
you to lend a hand in Urbana Champaign-- so don't let money be an
obstacle for you!

Register now! Registration will close November 6.

More info at http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana/