[CUWiN] good news everyone

Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Sun Aug 6 04:56:00 CDT 2006

> Why not turn down the transmit power?  (I realize that isn't always
> under one's control, but ISTR the WRT54 has a notorious "power hack.")

actually this is exactly what we did. We changed antennas and turned
down the txpwr. Also works.

But we had some 24dBi investments on the roof that we could have kept up
there :)

> > Only to find out now that the Diversity dissociation loss on the linksys
> > seems to be 26dB. Voila! We could have kept them there and just add a
> > small antenna on the TX side. :)
> >
> > That was my point
> > Hm, and did I mention that you can switch RX and TX side in
> > software ? ;-))
>
> I am making a fine distinction, but calling these RX and TX antennas
> may not be right.  Usually, if there are two antennas, both antennas are
> used to receive.  An arbitrary antenna is the "default," where the NIC
ok, no problem. Let's call them A and B then :)
A has a better chance of being always selected as the receiving antenna
because it is a high gain antenna.

(...)

> None of this is meant to diminish from your point, though, that having
> two antennas on virtually every WiFi device presents opportunities!

Yes, the mail by jim thompson seems like quite an opportunity.
Atheros home brewn-beamforming hm... nice

anyway, point is: we guys in berlin, vienna and Cuwin should work more
closely together. There is lots of know how and we tend to reinvent the
wheel far to often. For example in VIE we are planning to create our own
linux FW for www.osbridge.com (5gxi model) . We have nice experiences
with it (1.7mBytes ~ netto transfer rate) and we want to have olsr on
it. This setup is very nice pointo to point link with little
interference in other parts of the mesh (5ghz -> many channels). Maybe
at CUWin you would be interested to see how it performs with HSLS
(BTW: what cpu power do you need for HSLS?)