[CUWiN] Re: [IMC-Video] [Fwd: Wi-Fi Experience]

Todd Boyle tboyle at rosehill.net
Sat Aug 26 14:31:48 CDT 2006

Seattle wireless streamed a video 3 miles in 2001, as
part of their 'field day' at Alki Point.

The transmitter was an omni that could have been seen
as easily from 50,000 people around downtown seattle
and Capitol Hill as from the destination in Magnolia,
if A) they had a 15db directional antenna and B) if it
was multicast.

Like I keep on saying--  we need a turnkey solution for
ordinary people, having two, directional rooftop antennas
with radios attached, and we need a computer in the
house that's capable of managing the routing, and
providing the output that gives the owner what they
want.  All the parts are out there, and they have been
out there for years but nobody has developed a turnkey
solution.  CUWIN is close but it doesn't support 2 radios.
None of the wireless clubs like SWN or Portland telco or BAWUG
was in the business of building P2P urban mesh.
They were totally about sharing Comcast or Verizon connections,

I totally sypathize with you coders and engineers and I'm
not complaining.   This is manyears of work, and it would
be a rather drastic hardship for you to move to the
countryside someplace and code for 5 years without pay.
So, it is perfectly natural in our market economy
system that whole entire areas of the public's best interest
are completely ignored and plowed under, by those
areas that are possible to enclose, privatize and monetize.
Google for the enclosure movements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privatization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cap_and_trade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deregulation   etc.  Now that's rich
with irony since it really means devolution of governance
to the private sector who impose even more total governance,

And that's what has happened to our information commons
since the 1930s--- it has been left to the "private sector"
and YOU guys have the P2P technology to stop it.

If you're willing to move into a shed someplace out
in the country and code for 5 years I will go there and
work alongside you.  At least, let's get the truth out there:
it is not going to be a couple week;'s work.

Todd