[CUWiN] Activity?

Sven-Ola Tücke sven-ola at gmx.de
Wed Aug 6 02:34:42 CDT 2008

Hey,

what they have in common (muniwireless, meraki, open-mesh.com etc) is, that
they tend to make the network itself a private/owned resource. Something an
individual or an group of people owns. Hence they fail for the critical
mission: to build "street like" infrastructure, where you can reach
different "stores" to buy your services from whatever entitity (if it's not
entirely free already). Example: there should be more than one host offering
OpenVPN for international connections or so.

Typical keywords in "support queries" which reach my mail account from time to
time: We need to "control", "register", "encrypt". They cannot rely on or do
not understand concepts like "sharing", "commons", "community". And - e.g.
the merkaki folks simply charge too much for their registration
service/software ;-)

Having such closed concepts in mind, it is _not_ easy for any other individual
to jump in and join. Hence you will fail to reach the critial user count nor
do you bind the necessary altruism - wich _is_ out there. What's also sad:
this uses up the spectrum originally meant to be free and commons.

There are examples of running open meshes. I live in one called freifunk and I
dont pay for inet currently (while I need to do some work to get that thing
up and running - but that's another story). And yes - there are plenty of
in-between implementations (in-between: closed and open) as this is real
live - but you need to start with a more extreme position otherwise you have
nothing for later negotiations <ggg>

// Sven-Ola

[snip]