[CUWiN] Approaches to start up a mesh wireless network

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 10 02:12:30 CDT 2008

* find something lacking
(I was with a video project, I had 1 and 1/2 to 2
hours of video footage
I was force to cut it done 1 and 1/2 minute, I never
got to see the end
product)
(the video made by and for the community all ways gets
locked and
forgotten about)

* talk to the manger/worker about an option to let the
community see
videos they have help with
(did that with town's youth worker, someone else had
asked for the same
thing, the other person asked for a community TV/Radio
station for the
youth)

* get a meeting with the IT people
( still waiting......)

PS: i am just 1 year inside the youth age group

"Wireless Networking in the Developing World book"
http://wndw.net/
very good read a lot of the information is usefully
even in city/towns
in the Developed world

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 00:33 -0400, Bob Keyes wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Todd Boyle wrote:
>
> > Can anybody point me to any articles or outlines,
of the
> > approaches to starting up a neighborhood wireless
network
> > in a mixed, middle class suburb?   I don't even
know how
> > to begin to do the outreach and marketing.  What
is the
> > message?  And, what is the hardware/routing
proposition?

> I'd say that the most condusive sentiment is a
mutual drive towards both
> Internet participation and local, neighborhood
pariticipation and trust.
> Can you talk to your neighbors? Do you know them? Do
you have much in
> common with them?
>
> Another inducement is the relatively high cost,
compared to average
> income, of broadband in the neighborhood. If it
isn't available, then you
> may get a lot of interest, but be prepared for the
arrival of
> dsl/FIOS/cable modem with competitive starter rates.
If your NAN
> (neighborhood area network) gets their attention
they will try to stomp it
> out by offering very attractive rates at first. Be
ready for them to
> attack, and defend your network by showing that the
rates are only
> introductory, and will go up, significantly, over
time.

> > What are the preconditions more conducive to
success,
> > given that my neighborhood has well performing
broadband
> > service from both cable and telco.
> >
> > We have almost zero college age people around
here, and
> > the ones we have seem to be conservative,
low-energy kinds
> > of people.   We have substantial numbers of middle
age, graying
> > people, but they seem to be living in a cable-TV
world and
> > uninterested in internet.  The biggest demographic
is families
> > with kids, we have a lot of elementary schools.
And these
> > families have substantial incomes from jobs like
Microsoft,
> > Google, Boeing, or the FIRE industries.  In other
words they
> > hate freedom and they know perfectly well what the
P2P
> > networks are for.   i.e.  they actually want
everybody to pay
> > cablecos and telcos, for exactly the same reason
they want
> > everybody to pay taxes.   They hate us for our
freedom,

> That's a real problem. maybe you should appeal to
their kids, directly.

> > I will guess that a 3rd broadband service is
possible if it
> > performs at least at the megabit speed with low
latency
> > and good reliability, and, they don't care what
kind of
> > technology is on the roof?   I seem to be
gravitating towards
> > a WISP turnkey type of system because of the
likely, great
> > ranges of half a mile or more, between nodes and
there
> > is heavy tree cover and hills, here,
>
> I would say that you are facing an uphill battle.
You need fellow rebels
> and activists to help you, and it sounds like
they're in short supply.

> There are technical limitations which make wifi mesh
networks more or less
> attractive, but i don't know that these are enough
to derail the telecm &