[CUOA-Discuss] Digital Justice Coalition meeting this saturday

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:20:41 CDT 2009

You are invited to attend a meeting of the Digital Justice Coalition
this Saturday September 19th 2009 at 1pm at the Boys and Girls Club in
Champaign. The Boys and Girls Club is at 201 E Park St, Champaign,
IL‎, just off 2nd & University Ave.

The University of Illinois, on behalf of and with the endorsement of
the Champaign-Urbana community, recently submitted a multi-million
dollar proposal to the federal government for funds to build a
community broadband network and do training, outreach, and education.

The Digital Justice Coalition was formed to represent individuals and
community groups in Urbana and Champaign in the event this grant is
funded, to provide input and feedback into the planning and
implementation phases.

The Digital Justice Coalition is a network of representatives from
local non-profits, public libraries, churches, and community access
points, as well as individuals who have advocated for community
access. Our goal is to build a unified platform to gain more community
participation in the governance of the network, and to influence its
implementation. If our community is not funded in this first round, we
have the opportunity to change the proposal process in the second
round.