[CWN-Summit] Recent Washington Developments

Harold Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Mon Aug 30 11:42:08 CDT 2004

Time for me to call in some five minutes. :-)

Reply comments were due in the 365-3700 proceeding last Friday.  To refresh
your memory, this proceeding offers to open the 3650-3700 MHz band to
unlicensed access.  The FCC proposes 20-watt "high power" devices that
would require professional installation (how to certify a "professional
installer" is one of the questions in the proceeding). It also proposes
mobile devies of 1-watt.  Both sets of devices will be required to have
dynamic power and frequency modulation to avoid interference with licensees.

So far, only two sets of replies have been filed -- that of Intel and that
of the Satellite Industry Association (SIA).  I suspect more will be posted
and that these two represent those who filed electronically (hard copy
filings take a few days to get scanned and posted).  Others (like MAP) may
not have had a chance to get stuff on paper yet owing to summer vacations.

Both Intel and SIA promote use of this space for licensed, rather than
unlicensed, access.  Notably, Both point to the lack of response b y the
unlicensed access community and the number of parties who filed in favor of
licensing the band.

Now this is something of a crock, since we had NYC Wireless, CUWIN and
Dandin Group (Dewayn Hendricks shop) on our comments, along with Consumer
Fed. of America (50 million members through their individual organizations)
and a host of others.

But this is what I was talking about in CU.  Our silence has impact as well
as our speech.  How can we tell Congress that people really want this stuff
when there is basically one set of comments?

I would urge everyone to take five minutes and file now in this
proceeding.  Go to http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi.

Then fill out the form.  The docket number is 04-151.  In the space marked
"file brief comment," please say who you are and that access to this space
for both high power and low power mobile devices would be very useful.  If
you feel like it, please explicitly endorse the issues raised in by
NYCWireless, et al.  We objected to the professional installer requirement
and the inclusion of identity beacons in mobile devices.  The NYCWireless
comments should be at the MAP and NAF websites.

Because the IEEE 802.18 Committee has submitted comments suggesting that
this band be reserved exclusively for high-power point-to-point links, I
would urge those who feel strongly about low power mesh networks to discuss
the importance of low power as well as high power.

If you have some pre-existing materials in Word or PDF or WordPerfect, you
can include them as an attachment.   If you want to write lengthy comments
and submit them, write them in one of these formats, then submit as an
attachment.

If you want to see what else has been filed in the proceeding, so you can
reply to these comments, follow this link.
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/comsrch_v2.cgi  and plug in the docket
number (04-151).

Technical comments explaining the value of unlicensed and rebutting
licensees would be enormously helpful.

In other news, the unlicensed access in the broadcast bands proceeding
(04-186) has been delayed 90 days.  The new deadline for filing is November
30.  An analysis of this is at my blog, Tales of the Sausage Factory,
hosted at http://www.wetmachine.com
If you are interested in helping us get comments ready for this proceeding,
please let me know.

On money: I may have some deployment money through the Dept. of Housing and
Urban Development (HUD) program on university and community
partnerships.  This is only available to organizations that are partnered
with any institute of higher education (community colleges, 4 years
colleges, and universities) partnered with community groups.  But it can be
worth a few hundred grand over several years.  I have some connections
inside the program.  Contact me if interested.

On IP Address Space:  Let me know if you are willing to join an ARIN
policymaking process on this issue.  I can make some introductions, but
people involved in deployment need to make the case.  Please be advised
that my experience with open policy processes in the Name/Numbering space
is that they require a significant investment of time to make work.

That's it from D.C. for now.

Harold