[CWN-Summit] Tmobile blocking outside connection

steve at neobio.org steve at neobio.org
Tue Dec 14 15:30:41 CST 2004

Forgive the ignorance, but has any of you heard of $tarbuck$, (sorry Seattlites, I'm into local roaster/cafes) Tmobile pay for use hotspots using some sort of interference or blocking preventing users from connecting to outside (ie "free") access points.

I ask because recently I had a meeting at a $tarbuck$ in downtown Cleveland smack in the middle of Playhouse Square's Freelink WiFi hotzone that has been up for about a year.  I have used Freelink many times in the past at that Starbucks, but they have since put in the Tmobile AP.  This time, though I could see four of the six Freelink AP's along with the Tmobile AP, I could not get an IP address assigned.  This was true of my laptop and my PDA.

Could Tmobile be doing something sinister here?  Have any of you come across similar stories in your cities?

Steveg
Tremont Wifi Neighborhood