[CWN-Summit] Re: CWN-Summit Digest, Vol 5, Issue 2

Michael Oh oh at techsuperpowers.com
Wed Dec 15 12:13:59 CST 2004

> Could Tmobile be doing something sinister here?  Have any of you come
> across similar stories in your cities?
>
> Steveg
> Tremont Wifi Neighborhood

Something similar, but not directly related.  There was a time that
Starbucks had APs that would allow you to ping the broadcast address
and then find others on the network, presumably allowing you to file
share and things, etc.

Recently (i.e. in the last few months), Starbucks has increased their
security to include 802.1x as well, which I suspect means either new
APs or new firmware on their boxes.  At the same time, it looks like
they do some sort of blocking between wireless connections, so that
even if you know the other person's IP on wireless, you can't do
anything - no file sharing, pinging, nothing.  Sorry, guys, no more
file sharing at Starbucks.

[As a side note, the reason that we found this out was for a TV spot
where they wanted us to prove that Starbucks was just as insecure as
other networks.  Imagine our embarrassment.  Luckily, it made for bad
TV, so that section went on the cutting room floor.]

It's possible that they're using enterprise technologies that do
"block" other APs - a la Airespace (I'm not sure how they do it), but I
would think it would be unlikely for you to even attach to an AP if
that was the case.

Short story: they're much more secure than you think they are, so it's
possible they're also a lot sneakier.

Mike

-------
Tech Superpowers, Inc. - "Technology for Genius®"
252 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116

[Phone]   (617) 267-9716   [Email]     oh at techsuperpowers.com
[Fax]     (617) 267-8927   [Email 911] pageoh at techsuperpowers.com
[Pager]   (888) 377-9591   [Web]       http://www.techsuperpowers.com

[PSST!] Get our monthly e-mail newsletter -
http://www.techsuperpowers.com/TQ