[CWN-Summit] Possible write in campaign for next year

Harold Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Wed Nov 17 09:52:33 CST 2004

Hi all. this is going out to multiple lists, so I appologize for folk
getting this more than once:

I've been thinking of things that we can do to move the agenda forward here
in D.C.  One thing that we may be able to do is to start a letter writing
campaign. My first target is Congress, but I think we can hit state
legislatures and local government as well.

Most letter writing campaigns wait until a bill is introduced.  But I think
we should be more proactive.  I think we need to start putting the benefits
of unlicensed on the map and this is a relatively easy way to do it and get
people thinking about it.

The basic letter would:

- extoll the virtues of unlicensed, with some specific details about the
writer and writer's local community.

-The FCC has been taking baby steps in the right direction

-Municipalities and states have been looking at this and making positive
steps. (Examples from your home state/community good).

-Writer has heard that special interests in Washington -- notably mobile
phone industry, baby bells, cable companies, and televisiuon broadcasters
-- have mobilized against this important technology.

-Writer is very concerned this not happen.  Writer urges elected official
to stand up to special interests and support movement for economic
development, competition, and fundamental principles of democracy.

-Writer thanks representative and, if writer operates CWN or WISP, invites
elected representative to visit and check out operation.

Is there interest in mobilizing such a campaign?  If so, I am happy to (a)
try to draft some basic guidelines for folks, and (b) try to get fellow
public interest organizations to help.

Harold