[CWN-Summit] Acacia warning

Michael Oh oh at techsuperpowers.com
Mon Oct 4 21:36:01 CDT 2004

Has anyone seen this letter from Acacia?

NOTICE OF PATENT INFRINGEMENT

"Our research indicates that NewburyOpen.net currently provides
Internet access service in public locations, commonly referred to as
'Hotspots' or 'Access Locations'.  Internet access services include
redirecting end-users of computing devices at such Hotspots/Access
Locations to a web page for various purpose, including registration,
signin or payment.  This redirection is covered by U.S. patent
6,226,677, which is owned by AIAC and which we call Internet Access
Redirection or 'IAR' technology.  Under U.S. Patent Law, your continued
provision of such Internet access services requires a license from
Acacia."

Funny thing?

We don't even use Home Page redirection...

I suspect all of you will be getting this letter soon.  What a crock of
sh*t.  I advise all of you NOT to contact them and do not respond, so
they have to spend all of their time going after you (which they won't
ever do) and slapping lawsuits on every tom, dick, and harry in the
WiFi space.  They can spend their $600K in quarterly licensing fees on
hiring more lawyers.

I'll tell you if they try to get in touch with us, it should be a funny
conversation.

"Hello, this is Acadia, you're breaking the law"
"Oh, really?  Do you have any proof of this?"
"YES!  You provide free WiFi!"
"Oh really, have you used our network?"
"NO, but we know that you have to use our IAR technology on your
hotspot"
"No, we don't"
"Yes, you do"
"No, we don't"

etc etc.

Mike

-------
Tech Superpowers, Inc. - "Technology for Genius®"
252 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116

[Phone]   (617) 267-9716   [Email]     oh at techsuperpowers.com
[Fax]     (617) 267-8927   [Email 911] pageoh at techsuperpowers.com
[Pager]   (888) 377-9591   [Web]       http://www.techsuperpowers.com

[PSST!] Get our monthly e-mail newsletter -
http://www.techsuperpowers.com/TQ